Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Day 1

After all the months of thinking about it, planning it, and training for it, the first day is actually here! Lots of crazy stuff, but lots of fun stuff too. The drive up to the water was very different than excepted. According to the GPS, the trail map, and the local chamber of commerce, there is a state highway that goes all the way up to the water. That way was closed, but Alia found another route on her GPS; an hour and some scary hills later we found ourselves on top of a mountain—nowhere near the water or anywhere near the main trail. Turning around and going the south route got up to the trail that overlooks the water, so I started from there.

Very pretty biking today. I saw lots of wildlife, and got in some good miles. We'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow!

Unfortunately we're not immune to Murphy's law up here. The phones didn't work all day. The GPS showed roads that didn't exist and hid roads that were there. The Endomondo tracking system requires GPS, which I couldn't get on my phone. My nice camera decided that its battery was "exhausted" right when I wanted to snap some pictures of a couple of bald eagles and their babies. And now my chicklet keyboard is somehow out of juice. And there isn't any place to charge my phone. So I will keep this short and sweet.

May 21
Neah bay Washington
35.69 miles
3:25 on the bike
Pain level this morning: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment