Monday, June 10, 2013

Thoughts on week 3

So a fresh new week comes and a fresh new set of problems present themselves. This was an interesting week: learned lots of stuff and saw lots of stuff. Here are some thoughts.

• The western US is like an atom. There is a lot of empty space between electrons.

• The 'off' days can be very off and very dark. I spent a good part of the day yesterday hoping I'd hurt myself so I could go home. That's pretty dark. I don't want to be dark. I think it might be a food/chemical thing... But the support and well wishes from everyone was especially helpful in cheering me up. You know who you are!

• My mental state can be a lot more helpful and/or damaging than my physical state.

• I really like hearing from people during the day. It's nice to get a text or email of support. I've never been on a trip this long before, so I didn't anticipate how dramatically different it would be. Staying grounded definitely helps, so keep dropping me lines!

• Wyoming is going to be tough. Probably the most difficult part of the trip. I'm going to peak altitude just before dropping into Colorado, the road is just an interstate with lots of trucks, and there are 90-100 miles between major towns. Major bummer! But if I can survive Wyoming, everything else will be a breeze.

• Anything is amazing if you stare at it long enough. Except the Sun.

• Green mountains are better than brown mountains. Brown mountains are better than gray mountains. Gray mountains are better than any pass, gulch, creek, or trail with Rattlesnake in the name.

• The truckers have been friendlier than the cars. I get a lot of thumbs ups, honks, etc... especially when going uphill.

• This may be stealing from Hemingway, but sometimes it feels like this trip is taking me.

• I haven't had Gatorade since I discovered my allergy to red dye #40. My favorite flavor of Gatorade has red dye #40 in it. I tried some Gatorade today to replenish my electrolytes and had to get yucky lemon-lime. I guess they're all yucky, but now they might actually be useful.

• The engineer that came up with the idea of extending the rumble strips all the way to the edge of the shoulder should be taken out back and severely chastised.

• The more aggressive mileage strategy seems to be working. Sleeping in the car at Walmart was not working. I was doing 60% the miles as when I was in a hotel. Hopefully this strategy will get me back earlier and not cost any more money. I'll post the updated plan eventually, once I'm sure it's viable.

• I like seeing animals on the road. Live animals only.

• Bridges have been the scariest biking sometimes. Even with construction, there is still usually a way around. In the middle of a bridge, if a shoulder narrows or vanishes, you're out of luck!

• I should be back to Colorado shortly. I can't wait to sleep in my own bed, see my great family, and visit with friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment